Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Locking the Keys in the Car


One of my favorite things is to listen to the stories when John and his siblings reminisce about their youth. It is always delightful to visit his sister Kaye and her family.

When John was a freshman his older sister Kaye got to drive them to school in the family's Ford Pinto. Kaye had a habit of locking the keys in the car. On one particular day she had locked the keys in the car first thing in the morning. Since he was able to pick the lock, John was able to retrieve them. While he was in Algebra class, just before lunch, Kaye came to get him out of class because she had once again locked the keys in the car. John picked the lock again. After school they needed to run an errand to Casey's (a hardware/craft/garden store and notable Winslow icon). On the way to Casey's John gave Kaye a bad time about locking the keys in the car twice that day. When they pulled up in front of Caseys's John got out and was standing on the curb when he asked Kaye "do you have the keys?" She replied, "Yes, I have the keys." "Are you sure you have the keys?", he asked. More adamantly, she replied "YES, I have the keys!" John then said "Show me the keys!" As she slammed the door she yelled, "I HAVE THE KEYS!!!" Kaye paused for a moment, then said, "I think I just locked the keys in the car." Luckily John kept a wire hanger stashed in the bumper and was able to retrieve the keys again.

No comments: