There's something about making bread on Sunday afternoons that is like therapy for me. I guess having to do something that takes some time, working with my hands, but not too tedious. I haven't made much bread since I was called as Young Women's President in August and it came to a complete halt when we went to the 1:00-4:00 meeting schedule on Sundays. Having a snow day on Sunday was a opportunity I couldn't pass up. My favorite is to make clover leaf rolls from my Grandma Payne's Wheat Roll recipe.
Wheat Rolls:
10-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons (or packets) of instant yeast
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup oil
3-1/2 cups warm water
In my Bosch I mix half of the flour with salt, sugar, and yeast. Then I add the eggs, oil, and warm water (I run the water from the tap as hot as I can get it and pour it in as I am beginning to mix in the other liquid ingredients.) After the mixture is smooth I add the remaining flour and knead for about 6-8 minutes. I let rise till double, punch down and then shape.
For rolls, shape as desired and bake in a 425 oven for approximately 15 minutes. For loaves I put them in loaf pans and bake in a 350 oven for 35 minutes.
Perhaps the best part of the therapy is eating the results!

No comments:
Post a Comment