Monday, May 3, 2010

What is a Year?

By definition, a year is 365.5 days, or 52 weeks, or 12 months, 4 seasons. . . or really an eternity when you are experiencing that time without someone you love.

Holidays, birthdays, traditions, seasons, celebrations seem to ring hollow and flat. So much more effort is required to go through the motions of living "normally".

What I have discovered in that year is that I have become closer to that someone. Knowing that she has gone on has made me more acutely aware of what she would say, how she would act, how she would feel.

I have discovered that because of her I have greater strength. Because of her I have greater compassion. Because of her I love more deeply. Because of her I laugh more freely. Because of her I take time to read more frequently. Because of her I am more silly. Because of her I have more integrity. Because of her I have more faith. Because of her I work harder. Because of her I am a better mother. Because of her I can face tough things. Because of her I am a better example. Because of her I realize that life is precious and we should live each moment to the fullest.

Happy Birthday Celia.

(Picture taken near east Mesa on May 2, 2010)

No comments: